Thankful Thursday - October 22

Today let's give thanks for the farmer. Many in our nation have little or no idea at all what a farmer's life is like. Living in Somerset County many of us do.


Did you know that 2.1 million farmers provide for 330 million Americans. That's less that 1% working hard to provide for the other 99%. The below poem was written for Thanksgiving 2011, but it serves as a great reminder of all that we ought give thanks for when we consider our farmers and their hard work.


Giving Thanks for America’s Farmers By Aaron Putze


They don’t seek attention or verses that rhyme; Nor features or spotlights, none of any kind.


For farmers it’s not a headline to rise each new day; Often before sunrise as they get on their way.


They say it’s part of the job to get soaked by rain; To plow through snow and work through pain.


To move augers and wagons and make quick repairs; To volunteer their time at local churches, schools and fairs.


They don’t mind working alone, some prefer it that way; But don’t be mistaken for they have plenty to say.


About markets and weather, soil types and fields; The status of regulations and a neighbor’s yields.


About rainfall, the stock market and global ag trade; Barge transportation and the way stuff is made.


They’re focused and driven to get their work done; Unless a neighbor needs help and then off they’ll run.


They don’t admit perfection because things can go wrong; Accidents will happen but they make the will strong.


To put in a good day’s work before there is rest; Continually improving and doing one’s best,


Like innovative ways that protect the water, soil and air; Being a good neighbor and raising livestock with care.


Of providing more food using less energy, water and land; And offering choices to meet customer demand.


For these things and more we recognize this Thanksgiving; America’s farmers and what they bring to living.


Like thousands of food items, many easy to prepare; Fuel to power vehicles and clothing to wear.


Then there are life-saving medicines, tires and blue jeans; The sheets on our beds and soaps to keep us clean.


In fact, about everything we need to live, work and play; Is derived from the work that farmers will do today.


With that in mind, we pause, take stock and remember; What farmers bring to life as we gather to give thanks this November.


ST. PAUL'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

1845 N. CENTER AVENUE

SOMERSET, PA 15501

Email: office@stpaulsepc.org

Phone: (814) 445-5341

Office Hours: Monday-Friday  8:00-4:00pm

© 2023 by St. Paul's Presbyterian Church